7.13.2011

Lazy Day Off and Baking Day

Today was my first day off since last Wednesday, which means it was time for some serious laying around, and also tackling everything that I need to do on days off.

I always have an inner struggle on my days off and chores in general: Rob is usually cooped up in the house while he's looking for a job, and when I'm off I like to do things with him around town that are fun and new.  However, sometimes I just want to lay around! I do generally have chores, and am trying to delegate more of them to Rob, but I don't want to treat him like a slave.  Unfortunately for us, yesterday we independently had too much coffee (abnormal), and were up pretty late.  At training for my job, there is always an assortment of candy and coffee, so I left there hyped up on too much sugar and caffeine, and had energy to burn last night.  I got a lot of my annoying chores done (hem pants, even worked out) last night, so today Rob and I needed to go grocery shopping and that was it on the "chores" front.

We drove out to a new part of town for us: the Westbank.  I wanted to see that Target, since the one in Metairie was less than exciting.  Overall, it was better than I anticipated.  We will have to go back to that area when we have more free time purely to go to World Market.  Anyhow, after that we came back and went to the Rouse's by us to pick up some groceries.

I still haven't gotten used to grocery shopping here.  I miss Publix! I don't like having to figure out where to get certain brands of stuff that I'm picky about (like Chobani yogurts - so good, only yogurt I really like, cheapest at Breaux Mart).  Also, another pet peeve when grocery shopping: all cashiers here put no more than 2 items per plastic bag.  Normally, we would take the reusable bags.  In Gainesville, most people used these.  Occasionally I like to get the plastic bags for trash can liners, etc., so sometimes we'd go without them.  However,  it seems like no one uses these here.  In fact, when they do put more than 3 items in a plastic bag, they double bag it.  I don't understand this! I usually ask them to put more stuff together, but I hate having to do that.  Mental note: keep reusable bags in car from now on.


Hennepin shows us the importance of using reusable shopping bags (she also shows us the importance of not having a disgusting dirty trash can in the background of your photos - we now have a new black trashcan.)

Our quest for healthy eating continues on, even though we both haven't been doing so great in that venture this week.  I made some of our favorite quick meal staples: individual thin crust pizza crusts.  These are so good, I usually make a double batch and bake the crusts and keep them on hand in the fridge for a quick bite.  Who doesn't love pizza? It's a great low calorie option that seriously takes less than 5 minutes to make when you have the crusts pre-done.  I also baked another favorite: brownies.  This recipe is really good and surprisingly healthy-esque.  It's not one of those weird diet recipes that has strange ingredients, either.

On tap for tonight: more relaxing, maybe a touch of working on something for work, and then dinner with friends! Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment